Monday, March 23, 2009

Challenge: Name Brand-Shame Brand

Okay, I need some reports on last weeks challenges, or are you all out of the game already?

On to our next challenge:

Get your shopping list ready. This week when you go to the grocery store, leave the name brand on the shelf and go for the cheap stuff. I saw on CNN last week that you can usually save 30% by purchasing non-name brand items. Think of what you spend on grocery for the year and take off 30%...that is some serious savings.

I realize that there may be some name brand stuff you won't bundge on...pathetic...so you have one freebie. You may only buy one item with a name brand. This, my friends, will earn you 5 points.

Be sure to check back more frequently this week so you can stay up on the challenges.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

So I just went to the store (before reading this), and hand over the five points, I almost always buy generic brand. Today was no exception. One of the few things I won't buy generic is of Mac & Cheese (or Shells & Cheese). Have you tasted the generic brands? Nasty! But we hardly buy that stuff. The only other way I'd buy the name brand stuff is if it's healthier.

Clark said...

Amanda does most of the shopping so give her points for this one and I'll take a zero.

Grammy and Papa Dan said...

This is a challenge for me!! Somehow Green Giant sounds better than Great Value. Call me a snob. But I will try. I did buy some Kroger Rocky Road Ice Cream @ Smith's today -- yes Smith's has Kroger! I thought it was just Safeway! Anyway, I will work at this. Dad usually gets the generic. Great idea! I hope I can break down & do it. If I do one freebie I will cave totally!